Saturday, February 07, 2015

The Beauty of the Green.

I decided after a short bit of work this morning, that I was going to treat myself to some Tim Horton's for accomplishing a great deal of organization of paperwork. I guess I should mention that I am trying to eat healthy with my roommate; we have been cutting down on sugars and portion sizes, and resisting the urge to binge eat high sodium snacks. So when I order from Tim Horton's, it's usually a bagel with cream cheese (holy high fat, Batman), and one of those heavenly steeped teas with two milks and two sugars.

As I pulled my car up to the drive-thru, I noticed a line of approximately ten cars. The Universe is clearly not letting me give in to my cravings and temptations, and I greatly appreciate it. I came home to eat a small bowl of cereal with flax, and a nice steaming cup of chai green tea.

Because green tea, ladies and gentlemen, is incredible. We're all aware of the antioxidants, metabolism boosting, and cancer prevention benefits of green tea, am I right? Well here's a big shock. All green tea studies have inconclusive evidence for all of these benefits. However, I did a little research (because I swear by green tea's health benefits), and found a couple of points that I'd like to mention:
  • Though there is no real sturdy evidence that green tea helps prevent or treat cancer, there is, however, limited evidence (found in 2014 by Meta-Analyses) showing a lower risk of lung cancer in women. (Yay!)
  • Studies have found that green tea has been associated with a reduced risk of strokes. Green tea also has been known to lower blood pressure by minimal amounts, over a 3-6 month period.
So that's still pretty cool right? What is the point of informing you of the super unsure facts about green tea? Well because I am living proof that green tea, not only in the drinkable form, is amazing for women and men alike.

Every time I enjoy a cup of green tea, though it doesn't give me energy like coffee does, it makes me feel at LEAST 85% better than I am already feeling. My joints don't feel stiff, my stomach and intestine region have zero pains (which is actually a common problem with me, but that's saved for another day), and I feel more alert. Maybe a placebo effect, you may ask? No! I dare say. I've been drinking green tea since I was a teenager. I didn't know how awesome it was then, I just liked it.

I'll tell you what, I've never had acne in my life. Well, at least a face full of acne. I got very lucky in my teen years. My t-zone was my problem area, and it wasn't even a problem. Occasional pimples around the time of my period? I mean, why would I complain? Well, because I was a teenager. I've now come to the realization that HEY. EVERYONE GETS ZITS. GET OVER IT. NO ONE CARES. IT'S A REGULAR THING. WELCOME TO LIFE.

If I could have a nickel for every time someone complimented my blemish-free, smooth as shit, evenly toned skin, I'd be several dollars richer. I'm going to let you in on my secret, ladies and gents. St. Ive's Blemish Control Green Tea Cleanser. I've been using it since I was in my late teens, and I will never use another product for my face. (Except for the Apricot Scrub from St. Ives. But only like, twice a week.) What are the benefits of this cleanser? WELL...:
  • 100% natural extracts.
  • Paraben-free
  • Oil free
  • Dermatologist tested
  • Hypoallergenic
Also! The key ingredients are green tea (obvie), olive oil, and olive leaf extract. I know what you're thinking, it says oil free so why does it contain olive oil? You just simmer down, okay. Olive oil is the bee's knees. The cat's pajamas. The creme de la creme. Put that shit in your hair and holy crap. Rub it on your body and mother trucker. It's the ultimate natural lotion. So with the 2% of salicylic acid to help kill all those blackheads and blemishes, that olive oil is in there to rejuvinate your damn skin cells. And that's all I want to hear about this olive oil thing!

So there you have it. This is how awesome green tea is. So go pick yourself up a bottle of St. Ive's Blemish Control Green Tea Cleanser, make yourself a giant pot of green tea (because to really reap the benefits, you need to have 7+ cups a day), and bask in the beautiful healthiness of this gift from the Earth.


1 comment: